Subject: Re: Indian Women in U.S.....

From: [email-masked] (Subbarao Kambhampati)
Date: 27 Jun 91 16:31:13 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Viswambara) writes:
>
>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]
>(Viswambara) writes expressing doubts about "these liberated women":
>In response to Mr. Rao's Posting, Sorry I lost Most of it.
>
>>First, let me ask if Mr. Viswambara can point out some portentous
>>statistics that would convince us that marriages are falling apart for
>>trivialest of reasons because of the "independent" women?
>
>...[viswambara gives some cases]
>(Names used here are ficticious) 
>
>Y, Love at first sight, Marry Guy bombay Business man, Man busy , Lady bored,
>She basically gave up studies for Man and Marriage, Complains about his work,
>He asks her to continue studies, she does and gets job after completion, 
>Takes a Job in Delhi in spite of possiblity in B'bay, Reason she no
>like B'bay, Possible, Files for divorce, Granted what grounds ??? No Idea.
>I met her at U.S, New York. Studying.

Don't tell me that these are what you consider "trivialest" of
resons!! [Did you happen to see umbarta/shubah?]  Looks to me that the
only case where you would condone divorce would be when the wifey is
getting physically abused day after day!

Anyways, for every one of these "X Y" stories that you can dish out, I
can give you a 100 more with the men/women rolese reversed! The only
difference in the stories would be that there may not have been a
final divorce because women were taught to make all the compromises to
keep the marriage afloat (exactly by the misguided philosophies such as
yours).

So, where does that leave your argument?

>
>generations , What we find is most of the earlier women knew how to devote 
>equally to their children and their Career, They have done a good Job in both.
>Look the situations those days were much worse in India as far as Household
>work was concerned than To day (Mean Lack of Modren Appliances)
>Those days also Men used to Help,  Personally I think Dad is better cook 

You obviously have not read the third part of my message. Try to read
it more carefully before employing all these familiar platitudes in
your arguments!

>In any case I am very Much still Unsure how Safe / Unsafe am I from 
>my Indian Women?????
>   

Seems to me that a more relevant worry is should be how safe/unsafe
"Indian Women" (sic) are from *you*! 

cheers
Rao

---

From: [email-masked] (Sanjeev Mahajan)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1991 23:15:24 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (alok.vijayvargia) writes:
> 
> Perhaps you should try to examine your premises too.
> Could it be that you have a typical stereotype of men ?

Uma is right in claiming that Indian society has always given a short
shrift to the desires and aspirations of women. No wonder, noone bats
an eylelid when people come up with ludicruous matrimonials such
as 'domestic girl (sic) (translate as one who can cook, sew and keep a man 
happy) needed for a Computer professional blah blah blah'. I have always
wondered what one should do when one sees obnoxious matrimonials
on the net! I do not believe that ignoring them is the right solution.
Now one may argue that they are the person-who-is-posting's private
business, but I do not agree as once they have posted on the net,
it becomes everybody's business, and I think that Subbarao did
a wonderful job of shredding the recent matrimonial into pieces.
It is only through such means that we can discredit such obnoxious
practices.

Sanjeev