From: [email-masked] (Subbarao Kambhampati)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 18:33:56 PDT

Path: leland.Stanford.EDU!stanford.edu!unixhub!linac!pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu!cis.ohio-state.edu!ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!cindy!vivek
>From: [email-masked] (Vivek R Prabhu)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.indian
Subject: Re: Indian Women in U.S.....
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jun 91 00:07:02 GMT
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked] (no news is good news)
Distribution: na
Organization: California State University, Chico
Lines: 18
Nntp-Posting-Host: cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Apolak Borthakur) writes:

In fact women in India have now started more actively campaigning for their
rights than before, and that is certainly a healthy sign. 
Before the question was that Indian women were regarded as prepared to fight
with their husbands for what they wanted, and stay in the same house rather
than leave them and go away as they do here. That too was a good thing, since
they got whatever they wanted and were able to get their husbands to do their
bidding. Now the case is slightly different, since a man still has to do the 
bidding of his wife in order that she stay with him as his wife, as otherwise
he has to end up paying things like alimony and maintenance, a thing which he
would like to avoid. The one advantage which Indian families hold over 
American families, and that to a very significant one is that the progeny 
atleast know who their biological parents are as opposed to the younger 
generation here, who are often the products of mixed/divorced/separated/
legitimate/illegitimate relationships etc.

Vivek.