From: [email-masked] (Subbarao Kambhampati)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 16:37:17 PDT

Path: leland.Stanford.EDU!stanford.edu!agate!spool.mu.edu!uunet!zephyr.ens.tek.com!uw-beaver!rice!sawwhet.rice.edu!apo
>From: [email-masked] (Apolak Borthakur)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.indian
Subject: Re: Indian Women in U.S.....
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jun 91 20:31:29 GMT
Article-I.D.: rice.1991Jun27.203129.17868
References: <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked] (News)
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Apolak Borthakur)
Distribution: na
Organization: Rice University
Lines: 47

|> Yes True, I agree to Your observation, Now Last generation That's my Mums
|> Gang , got their freedom and they were (My Mum and her Gang from College)
|> pretty much exposed to World in sense they were working etc, Now they were
|> also mighty Independent considering that generation before them women hardly
|> went out. Now look at our generation, They have all the freedom since Birth
|> , Most of the Folks I knew never treated a Girl in House any diff than the Son
|> (I have basically stayed in Major cities only) , Now let's compare, the two 
|> generations , What we find is most of the earlier women knew how to devote 
|> equally to their children and their Career, They have done a good Job in both.
|> Look the situations those days were much worse in India as far as Household
|> work was concerned than To day (Mean Lack of Modren Appliances)

Well,I hate to sound like one of those `knights in shining armor' defending 
the cause of women and all that,but I personally feel that the women who have
to combine the role of being a career-woman as well as a housewife don't get a very fair
deal.The social scene in India is such that the woman has always been expected 
to mind the house,which was probably fair enough earlier when they didn't
work,but then this notion has carried through even now,when women work.

You imply that Indian women are beginning to demand more of equality-I don't
think that thats really happenning in India(you're talking of women who've 
lived most of their lifes in India),and if it is,isn't it time it did?

|> Now I am also for free society where no one is bounded to another
|> for life and Come Easy GO easy kind of Attitude, This is in West and we
|> are here so let's go for it , But how practical is it???
|> In any case I am very Much still Unsure how Safe / Unsafe am I from 
|> my Indian Women?????

Every sane person should agree that divorce is a pain in the ass;leads to
a lot of trauma,etc.But how can you hold only the woman responsible for
the divorce?Things can go wrong in so many ways,and often the husband(esp
in India) is at fault.

Indian society is used to having the husband as the boss,and the wife is
expected to adjust to his needs and desires.Is such an attitude always
right?

Well,enough of sermonising.Now its time to live up to my old school motto:

                Facta,non verba.