From: [email-masked] (Subbarao Kambhampati)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 91 19:32:49 PDT

Path: leland.Stanford.EDU!stanford.edu!agate!ucbvax!cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!uwm.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!symcom!murphy
>From: murphy@symcom (Michael L. Murphy)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.indian
Subject: Re: Sexism
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Jul 91 02:15:46 GMT
References: <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked] (News)
Distribution: usa
Organization: Math Dept., University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
Lines: 37

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>And what do you think Mr Murphy about American males?
>They are not sexist??

Oh yes, some American males are definitely sexist.  I have seen it.  I
speak out against it when I do see it, trust me.

And it is also quite obvious to me that some Indian males are not sexist,
and that they speak out against sexism when they see it.  Bravo to those
men and women who do!  (Susan Chacko, I am sorry if I appeared to be
making sweeping generalizations of Indian males.  I was simply trying to
bring to light an attitude of sexism that is all too prevalent here in
sci.  It would be folly to fall into the same error that I was trying to
correct in someone else, but I have done foolish things before.  My
apologies to the entire Indian male readership of sci, or at least those
who are _not_ sexist. :) )

Rao summs up brilliantly his reasons for posting his article against the
"OP" in his last post.  I believe that this is the final word on the subject.
I am in complete concordance with what he stated in that post.  I admire him
for standing up for what he believes, and for doing so intelligently and
eloquently.  He deserves praise for what he has done, not a lot of flak.
I could summarize what he had to say, but not without ruining it's impact.
Re-read this article.  It really has a lot to say.

As _my_ final word, I realize that it is difficult for me to criticize sexist
attitudes in this forum without appearing to be the "outsider", who really
does not understand the ways of Indian society, such as arranged marriages.
I suppose this is to be expected.  But by watching and listening, I hope to
become better educated.  The more I see and read of Indian society, the more
of its beauty, richness, and history is revealed to me, and the more I can
appreciate it.  I am constantly learning.  I will continue to learn.
--
+-Murphy's law: The amount of bugs present-+-Michael Murphy--------------+
| in your program is directly proportional | [email-masked] |
| to the time you've spent working on the  | [email-masked]    |
+-damn thing.------------------------------+-----------------------------+