From: [email-masked] (Subbarao Kambhampati)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 91 14:42:52 PDT

Path: leland.Stanford.EDU!stanford.edu!agate!spool.mu.edu!uwm.edu!uwvax!meteor!bhatt
>From: [email-masked] (Uma Bhatt)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.indian
Subject: Re: Indian Women in U.S.....
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jun 91 18:59:53 GMT
Article-I.D.: meteor.1991Jun28.185953.28083
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Distribution: na
Organization: University of Wisconsin, Meteorology and Space Science
Lines: 15

I was trying to say that there is a double standard about what is 
considered unacceptable behaviour when one is talking about men or women.
A man would be forgiven more easily if he abandoned his children than a 
woman who did the same thing. And perhaps it is this double standard (which I 
think is found in societies all over the world) of what a man can do and
what a woman can do that causes some people to react so negatively to the
cases listed in article <[email-masked]>. There are likely just as
many stories, in which men are the 'offenders'. It is just that people tend
to forget those stories. It is less acceptable for a woman to dump her
husband than for a man to dump his wife. 
As someone already pointed out (I am not adept at referencing old articles
on usent) that it takes 2 people to make a marriage work and when things
do not work out it is very difficult to point the blame at only one person.
SO what do people think of arranged marriages?
Uma