Subject: Re: offer of transcripts via anon. ftp [was Re: ' Arranged' and ' love' marriages. (was Re: marrying..)]

From: Sachin Sapatnekar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 91 10:52:26 -0500

In article <[email-masked]> you write:
>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>>		 Would people
>> like Mr Rao who are so dead against ' three way marriages ' please suggest
>> viable alternatives for the Indian professionals here in the US who'd like to
>> marry someone of their own kind?
>
>Mr. Prabhu:
> 
> Please stop propagating this trite "Love" vs. "Arranged" Marriage
>dichotomy, and trivializing the whole issue. If you can't do that, at
>least please avoid associating my name with that stupid dichotomy.
>Neither I nor anybody I know has tried to create or propagate such a
>thing. In fact, I have actively distanced myself from it.
>
>The issue was being aware of implicit sexism of the practices that you
>endorse, and being conscious of a spectrum rather than an artificial
>dichotomy of choices out there. 
>
>I have neither the patience nor the energy to repeat all the
>arguments. To you, as well as others who might be interested, I would
>like to pointout that the transcripts of the exchange on this topic,
>which took place last year around this time on the net, can be
>accessed via anonymous ftp from sunrise.stanford.edu (36.93.0.20). The
>transcripts can be found in the directory "pub/rao" in the file
>"arranged-sci" (be advised that it is about 60 pages long).
>
>Cheers
>Rao
>----------------
>
>   "Surely, combating this pervasive fatalism by fostering an appreciation
>     for the spectrum--rather than an artificial dichotomy--of choices, is
>     the most effective way of influencing the attitudes towards marriage."
>   

I tried to ftp the file over and got a response of 'permission denied'.
I could, however, successfully ftp the arranged-sci.postscript file.
I don't think I would care to waste 60 pages of paper on it (save the
environment ;-)), so pliss to rectify the problem with arranged-sci.
Regs,
Sachin