Subject: Re: marrying in the old country [Important Consumer advice included]

From: [email-masked] (PhD-in-Training)
Date: 29 Jun 91 06:03:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Subbarao Kambhampati) writes:
>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (PhD-in-Training) writes:
>
>>I am a bengali who has grown up in the US and I am thinking of
>>marrying a girl from India (arranged) and bringing her here.  Is
>>there anyone who has done this?  The man should have either grown
>>up in the States or lived over 10 years here.  I am concerned
>>about adjustment, etc.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Surajit Mukherjee
>
>Hi Surajit:

	[all kinds of *very* helpful advice deleted]

>True, Ceiling fans are not exactly the
>same as girls--but it can't really be that different.

Really, you think so?  Well let me tell you Subbarao, I was left
in awe (as well as some other netters) by the eloquence and wit 
of your post.  I think it's great how you figured out I really was 
NOT asking for any salient advice (afterall, I was inquiring about
such a trival matter as marriage!) but I asked the question to
provide you with a forum to display your talent.

I congratulate you, not only on your mockery of the institution of
marriage, but also on denegrating women down to where they belong.
Tell me, did you conceive of the idea of equating women with objects to
be possessed and manipulated by men, all on your own?  As another
poster commented, "What a fresh idea" this is!  I am really grateful
to you, for golden advice such as:

>o The first thing is of course, to check with the girl's previous
>  owners as to her correct operating conditions, and the past repair history. 

>o Be sure to check on the return policy.

>Do let us know how your's adjusts. I think this type of frank exchange
>of consumer problems with various brands of equipment and so on would
>go a long way in ensuring that we get satisfactory performance from
>the deshi girls that we bring here.

Thanks to you, I now realize that marrying the right girl is simply
acquiring the correct brand of equipment and getting a satisfactory
performance out of it. <Clap, clap>, <whistle, whistle>!!  I hope
that over time, your mother did not degrade in performance beyond
normal "wear and tear", from your father's usage.

I am sure that this literary triumph of yours will channel more fan
mail your way than ever.  But this is too important to discuss here.
I suggest that you form alt.deshi.wife.bashers.r.us where you can "try out"
and rate different brands, and provide consumers with proper operating
instructions.

>If you need any information about where you can get the best girls to
>marry, please don't hesitate to post another article. 

And Subbarao, I hope YOU feel free to grace the usenet community
with another one of your side-spliting discourses the next time someone
asks for help or suggestions.

Ladies if you care for a copy of his responses, I plan to keep a compilation
of them in /dev/null.

--Surajit Mukherjee

---

From: [email-masked] (veena)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 91 12:10:48 CDT

>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Subbarao Kambhampati) writes:

	[your outrage at Subbarao's extremely apt response to your "matrimonial
	advice" deleted]

	I, as a more-or-less regular reader of SCI, would like to point out
	to you that Subbarao is one of the very very rare and hard to come
	across type of Indian men who not only talk of equality of men and
	women but also practise what they preach. Far be it from him to
	treat women (or any living beings) as objects of any kind. He is
	perhaps the only poster on SCI who expresses his outrage in no
	uncertain terms *everytime* he comes across articles that do portray
	women as objects, as people with no minds or opinions of their own, 
	as one of the several "possessions" of men, as basically inferior
	beings in a lot of ways, as human beings who somehow just can't
	manage their own lives without the "protection and guidance" from	
	the "wise and able" menfolk, as people who "deserve" to be "shielded"
	from this cruel world, as people who should be "kept" in their
	"rightful" place in the kitchen or as doormats, as people who
	somehow need to be "permitted" by their menfolk before they could
	venture forth to do anything on their own and so on.

	If you read mockery of the institution of marriage or perceived
	denegration of women in his article, it's due to the limitation
	of your own perceptions to read sarcasm. Isn't it people like
	you who perceive women as some kind of baggage to be brought
	from India after a "careful screening of the goods that will be
	displayed when you express the desire for an Indian bride" ?

	It was utterly disgusting and uncalled for to bring his parents
	in your attack on his response to your matrimonial ad. If you
	could justify your article and the attitude that prompted you
	to ask for such advice, you should have done that instead of
	getting personal in such a revolting manner.

	Veena